This post has been a little delayed this year as I was hit with a bad bout of the winter flu and took a little time out from blogging and social media to get better. However, I’m back, and super excited to get stuck into 2018!
To be honest I’ve never been one for setting proper New Years resolutions. In fact, I honestly think there is so much pressure to make a such big, unrealistic life changes at this time of year. However, in 2018 I am planning on learning to listen to myself, I want to learn how to become my own best friend and do more for others so I am setting some simple goals and tasks to in order to achieve this.
I managed to tick off many wonderful things from last years goals list, but, there’s many I didn’t get done that I’m 100% going to do this year. I thought I would share my goals and plans for 2018 that I’m eager to accomplish that maybe they will encourage you to make 2018 a great year too. All in all, these goals are ones I want to achieve to make my life a little happier and live the best life I can (cliche, I know!)…
Make More Memories and Preserve Them
While my camera roll is full of amazing memories, this year I want to concentrate more on making them tangible. I also want to work on having deeper connections and more meaningful relationships with those around me. I want to aim to:
- Spend more time with those I love – it’s easy to fall into the trap of being ‘busy’ or cancelling plans. I want to make it my business to catch up with family and friends more regularly.
- Write more handwritten letters, thank yous and postcards. In a world of online messaging and emails, this is something I am passionate about!
- Print more photos and create albums. Preserving memories to last a lifetime.
- Travel more – Even if we are saving for our first home, I hope we can travel more. We don’t have to go very far, even day trips to somewhere in Ireland – there are some amazing places on our doorstep I haven’t ever seen.
Have a Healthier Mind and Body
This year I want to really concentrate on my overall health. This includes getting more exercise, drinking more water and working on my mental health. I’m learning that there is no shame in doing what is best for yourself. To achieve this I aim to:
- Move more – Sit less, go on more walks and do at home exercises like yoga or pilates.
- Look after my skin – With the big 3-0 coming up this year I want to find a skincare routine (I currently only moisturise my face about once a week!) and stick to it. I also want to make it a habit of drinking lots of water to nourish my skin.
- Having social media free days. I took a mini break away from social media over the festive break and I must say it was wonderful. Don’t get me wrong, I love blogging and following so many amazing and inspiring people on Instagram but I feel last year, like many others I have been speaking to, I got so wrapped up in the social media comparison game. Comparison truly is the thief of joy and if scrolling past contoured beauty bloggers, fitness models, and world travellers aren’t doing anything to help my self-esteem, I will be unfollowing them as well as limiting time scrolling endlessly.
- Have a proper night-time routine. Go to bed earlier and try to cut out social media before going to sleep. (I’ve learned my body clock isn’t like it used to be, I gotta get those 8 hours!)
- Practice self-care – there is no shame in looking after one’s self. Treating myself like a best friend should be treated — with kindness and respect. I’m going to take more time for me every day whether it be watching my favourite TV show, taking a long bath, getting my nails done or buying fresh flowers. I’m committing to going to the hair salon too.
- Start cognitive behavioural therapy to help with my anxiety.
Become More Organised
I truly want to become more organised. I’m going to try my best to become an organisation nerd! This will include:
- Doing a full closet clearout. Only keep the things that actually fit and that I like. Donate, sell or store away those I don’t wear.
- Putting more effort into keeping our home fresh and clean each and every day – Nothing beats the feeling of sitting down to a clean and tidy house. It allows me to relax more and I have a clearer head to focus on blogging and business ideas. I’m making a handy little cleaning schedule that I will share soon.
- Committing to using a planner or journal to keep on track of dates, goals and to-dos.
- As we will be looking to move house in the future, I really don’t want to be moving stuff we don’t want or no longer need. It will be our 5th time moving and I’m done moving boxes or items that never get emptied or used! I want to do a massive clear out this year and be ready to only fill our home with things we love. I also want to up our storage game so everything is easy to transfer when we do eventually move. I’m buying a label maker, so things are about to get serious around here!
Be the Best Version of Me I Can Be
This year I want to learn to listen to myself, be my own best friend and do more for others. For this I want to:
- Start doing RAOK’s (Random Acts of Kindness) for strangers. Pay for someone’s coffee in the line at the cafe, leave pretty flowers for someone to find – make it a habit.
- Do more for others whether it’s donating money or time – It’s important to put love and kindness back into the world any way that we can.
- STOP. BEING. LATE. I am ashamed to admit I have this bad habit. It is rude and unproductive and I’m going to try my hardest to kick it in 2018.
From getting my full driving licence to being a step closer to our own home…
- Continuing to save for our first home.
- Save for Christmas – I’m going to pop away €50 (it’s only €12.50 a week!) a month into a Christmas savings account. Come December I should have €600 and no worries about buying gifts or treating myself.
- Get my full driving permit.
- Growing A Little Vintage Lady – I set up a Little Vintage Lady as my little piece of the internet to share what I love. I never thought anyone would actually read it! But now, I’m ready to take it a little more seriously by working hard trying to grow my readership and Instagram followers and sticking to a blog schedule. I’m going to aim for 3 posts a week on Sundays, Mondays and Wednesdays.
- My career – I come from a family of small business people so I really want to something entrepreneurial this year. This is something I’ve thought about a lot in 2017 but never took any actions towards. Watch this space!
I hope your 2018 is off to a great start!
Love, Karen Louise